Tuesday, July 6, 2010

It's summer -- it must be cobbler time



A few years ago I had the privilege of attending a baking class in NYC (wish I could remember the place). In order to be proper chefs (for a day), we were given aprons and classic chef hats.

Now that we looked the part, we were divided into groups given a recipe and assigned to a master chef.

My recipe was for a berry cobbler...  hmmm, what is a cobbler?  I don't think I have had one, much less made one.  In this case it was a sweet dessert; berry filling put in a baking pan, then topped with an almost scone like topping, the key is that the topping is put on the filling by rounded tablespoon.  This way the topping looks like a cobble stone road...  well this is what our chef told us, and it sounded good to me.

We mixed, fruit and some other stuff together, then made the topping, assembled and baked.  So amazing...  In fact there was some topping left over and I took it home.  Why not, right?

That night we had an impromptu dinner party, 4 couples in total, we all knew one couple but not all.  Turns out we had a lot in common, and made quick friends.  After a delicious dinner,  I made a cobbler for dessert...  it was a HUGE hit!  Since that time, I have made cobblers on many occasions!  ...

This July 3rd seemed like a good time as any to have a cobbler...


First the filling...  using fresh summer fruit you can use half the sugar, also I use brown sugar instead of white processed sugar


Then the topping, I use half whole grain flower and half all purpose...



Pre bake...  going into the oven


Out of the oven!  Yummm!








So easy to make!  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment