Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Misunderstood Meatloaf... try it stuffed

Why do so many people dislike meatloaf?  Why is it so misunderstood?  In fact, one day I said to my husband, "think I will make some meatloaf".  He said, "I don't eat meatloaf, well, I do eat some meatloaf.  It's just that the only meatloaf I eat is from a guy in Chinatown (NYC)".  Really?  This is what you want to tell me?  You don't want to try my meatloaf because of a guy in Chinatown?

I concede, some meatloaf is very, very dry and inedible.  But, not my meatloaf (if I do say so myself).  I mean meatloaf, made the right way is delicious and can even be healthy (think turkey).   It can also be something you made ahead of time...  so it is convenient, and provides great left overs.  So undaunted by what my husband said, I made meatloaf and he and my son LOVED it.

My roommate college Marigrace really deserves all the credit.  She made the BEST stuffed meatloaf, and she was kind enough to teach me how to make it...  Here is what I do:

Recipe:
1-3 pounds of meat (can be all turkey or can be a mixture of any of the following:  turkey, pork, sirloin, and/or veal)
For each pound of meat add 1 egg
Then add seasoned bread crumbs (4C Italian flavor or Pepperidge Farm stuffing ground in a food processor)
Mix with your hands

Form the base of the meat loaf on a lined baking pan
Make a well in the base, line the well with cheese (low fat mozzarella) and any sauteed veggies (mushrooms, onions, spinach, shredded carrots, anything)
Put the rest of the meat on top, seal it shut so nothing leaks out during cooking
Cover the meatloaf with your favorite tomato sauce (I use Prego Mushroom)
Cook for 1 1/2 hrs at 350 degrees

Alternatives:
Meatloaf is versatile.
You can prepare in advance (all steps but cooking), put in fridge for one day.
I often cook 3 meatloaves at one time, eat one with the family and freeze the other two.
And don't forget the leftovers...  yummm!

So this is my plea for you to try meatloaf again, for the first time...  you'll be surprised.  ENJOY!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment